Wednesday 21 November 2012

Rashes and viruses

My wife's dementia was preceded by many years of ill-health involving viral infections. These often produced ME-like symptoms that were a problem for months at a time. I've discussed these before:

http://adventureswithdementia.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=viruses

It's always seemed to me possible, if not likely, that these infections have had something to do with the development of the dementia.

For as long as I've known her she has 'broken out' in rashes very frequently, usually when she is ill. They are the kind of rashes, mostly on her back or chest, that often come as quickly as they go.

I've mentioned previously that since she has had the dementia, the viral illnesses have disappeared (though until she started taking Acyclovir, an anti-viral medication, she was having regular herpes outbreaks). But the rashes I'm talking about have continued and often coincide with periods when her dementia symptoms worsen.

I'm going to try and discover whether other people with dementia have similar rashes. I'd be interested to hear whether anyone else with dementia has experienced similar rashes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I've just found your blog. I'm so sorry for you and your wife. I have recently moved to be nearer my mum's Home, since her Alzheimers is getting so bad. I am really struggling, seeing her like this. It's awful.

    Anyway I just wanted to say that she used to get lots of rashes in the years before her diagnosis (four years ago when she was 73). Her doctor said it was uticaria, but didn't know what caused it. Interestingly she never gets them anymore! I wonder if there is some link?

    Do keep blogging,
    best
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Louise. I can understand how hard life must be for you.

      It's really interesting to hear about someone else having apparently similar rashes and then dementia.

      Perhaps your comment will lead to further responses from others. I hope so.

      Best wishes

      Delete