Thursday 18 February 2016

A problem with research

There are daily reports of dementia-related research. A recent study, reported by Reuters Health (and others no doubt) suggests that 'repeated use of a certain class of drugs for gastric reflux or peptic ulcers was linked with a higher risk for dementia among patients in Germany'.

I'm interested in this as I've been on Lansoprazole or Prevacid (one of the drugs mentioned) for several years, though rarely on a large dose. After a period of only taking it when I really felt discomfort I recently decided to try and manage without it. Purely coincidentally I also cut right back on milk after I came across Oatly products and liked them. After a couple of months I have had very few problems with acid reflux. (I have also drunk fresh lemon juice first thing in the morning for several years and found that that helps, by the way.)

But Google reveals that lansoprazole allegedly lowers blood pressure.......and raises it! Maybe there'll be research along soon suggesting that it protects against dementia.

It seems that, as some people in the UK used to say (perhaps they still do)  'you pays your money and you takes your choice'.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    i came across your blog. I just wonder if you have enrolled your wife to taurx lmtx phase 3trial. It seems to work for those on the real drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info. As may be clear from the blog, I'm not a great believer in drugs. S has had some dreadful experiences with them. She's on two that seem to help and we're quite happy with that. I think she is beyond the stage where she would be considered for a clinical trial anyway.

    ReplyDelete